For the majority with an already hectic lifestyle, the thought of starting an online business at home is probably the last thing that comes to mind, especially if you’re already working full time or a stay at home mum or dad.
If any of this sounds familiar, I would imagine you’re probably working for most of the day, spending the time you do have left with the kids and then if you’re lucky, you’ll end up with an hour or two to yourself before bed, only to repeat the process all over again the next day!
It’s a vicious cycle that can easily overwhelm anyone and in fact I fell victim to before I got started. But with a little research and the right training, getting set up with the basics of an online business isn’t as daunting or as time consuming as you might think.
Let’s get started…
Common Barriers To Entry
- Not enough time – Right now in your life, you may be thinking that there are just not enough hours in the day. You either don’t get enough quality time with your children or don’t have enough downtime to yourself. All of this leaves you thinking, that there must be another way, one where you can control the clock.
- No experience – You may have even asked yourself “what do I need to do to start an online business?” or “what kind of online business should I start?”. But with how busy your life is already, you may not think it’s even possible, especially if you’re someone with no prior experience.
- Fear of failure – For the majority of people, the unknown is frightening. They convince themselves it’s all too risky and the thought of failing and crawling back to their bosses paralyses them with fear and uncertainty. So they continue in a job they love to hate. Does any of this sound familiar..?
Alternative Ways To Make Extra Money
Well, the good news is that there are alternative ways to make a living and live a life where you feel in control, but there’s no “one size fits all” approach, unfortunately.
For example, you could start your very own nursery or preschool from home. This would eliminate traveling to and from work, allowing extra time at home. However, for the majority, this would incur large upfront costs and without hiring a team of carers, you would still be working most of the day.
For the tech-savvy, a couple of popular alternative ideas would be as a cybersecurity engineer or data scientist, leveraging the growing trend of remote working/telecommuting.
How about becoming self-employed and working when you want, with the idea of providing a better work/life balance? The obvious disadvantage with either telecommuting or being self-employed is that you would still be trading your time for money, so unless your physically working, you’re not generating income.
Or my personal favourite would be to go nomad and travel the world whilst home tutoring your children, although you would probably need to win a small fortune first!
But in all seriousness, there is a way to take control of your working life, allowing you more flexibility whilst still generating an income; being your own boss and having full control by starting an online business at home.
With well over 4 billion internet users in 2019 (internetworldstats) and an estimated 1.92 billion people expected to purchase something online in 2019, now is a fantastic time to start an online business, and it’s never been easier. These internet users will be searching for information and solutions to their problems.
By helping these people and providing solutions, this is how you will earn your revenue.
What If I Know Nothing About Online Business?
In the past, many have fallen short with not knowing how to build a website or not knowing how to code, but with so many processes now automated and some training packages offering professionally built websites with just a few clicks of the mouse, you can be up and running in no time. In fact, you can build a website in under 60 seconds with this FREE Website Builder – SiteRubix
It’s all about taking the first step and getting over that inital fear of failure that hold so many of us back.
When I started my online business, I had no idea what I was doing and was extremely sceptical due to so many online scams. But with a little research and the right training, I was able to set up my business and have helped others in the process. I remember the first training product I ever invested my hard-earned money into was the HBGCourse.
Now let me just say right off the bat, the HBGCourse is not perfect. However what the course provided me with, was an easy to follow step by step process of how to put together an online business from scratch, which is exactly what I needed. It delivered everything in simple plain English, which helped me understand all the tech language used on many “how-to” videos and training products.
This was back when I didn’t know the difference between a domain provider and a web hosting company. I didn’t even really know what the term affiliate marketing actually meant. I was a complete newbie as they say.
In a nutshell, the HBG course helped an absolute beginner like me get started with piecing together the building blocks of my first online business, at a time when I knew nothing about website development, design or online business. Ultimately, if someone like me is able to start in the online space, then I’m confident you can too.
However, I’d only recommend The HBG Course to you if you’re someone who has made a decision to start learning and are willing to invest some of your hard earned cash into your training as the HGBcourse is a paid product. For my recommended FREE online business training, keep reading to the bottom of the page.
What You Need To Know Before Starting An Online Business
Starting anything new can be a daunting process and launching an online business presents its own unique challenges, even more so if you are doing this alongside a full-time job and/or family commitments. But the great thing about it, is you can do this in your spare time and put in as much work as you want to. I was only able to manage an hour a day when I started, but that was enough to stay motivated and keep on going. Read more about how I manage my time working from home.
Like anything, experience is a valuble asset and online business is no different. Having some technical knowledge is great but by no means necessary as all the basics are easily learnable. For me, 3 of the most important skills to have starting an online business are;
- a willingness to learn new skills
- a determination to make it happen and
- a persistence to see it through
If you think you tick those three boxes, then you’re in a great position to get started.
Just like most traditional “brick and mortar” businesses, the majority of online businesses fail within the first 6-12 months. There’s no avoiding or sugar-coating this, it’s just a simple fact. But the reasons for this are mostly due to people expecting instant results online and simply giving up too soon, largely due to so many internet scams that promise overnight success.
However, if you believe in yourself, have the motivation to succeed and are fully committed to taking action, then the following pros will outweigh the cons you may associate with starting an online business at home.
8 Reasons To Start An Online Business
1. You Can Work Anywhere Anytime – Yes, in the beginning, you will have to invest your time and effort, but you can work at your own pace and in your own time. I started out working 1 hour a day because that’s all the time I had spare. And once you’ve laid the foundations for your business, you can be available for your family without having to worry about sacrificing your income. Long-term this will mean passive income.
2. Build a Business Around a Passion – We would all love to be able to get paid for something we enjoy doing and having an online business gives us that opportunity. You actually get to choose what you market and/or produce, which makes it easier to persist and stay motivated. This is absolutely huge. I know a lot of people in well-paid jobs, but very few actually enjoy what they do.
Is there anyone that you know who feels stuck in their job or is not passionate about what they do?
3. It’s Cost-Effective and Simple to Set Up – If you’re like me when I started and have a very limited budget, then you can actually get yourself set up for FREE and have a website up and running within minutes. For some, this would be crucial to their decision-making process. I was working full-time and my kids were very young when I started, so having a low-risk option was important to me. Read more about how I got started online for free.
4. No Commute – Just take a moment to think about how much time each day and each week you spend getting to and from work. How much time do you spend just waiting for transport and how long is your journey to and from work? It all quickly adds up to hours of torturous travel and without getting paid!! For me, this was a game-changer. I used to commute in and out of central London 5 days a week, meaning I saved myself around 40+ hours and was around £250+ better off each month!
How much time and money could you save by working from home?
5. Reduced or No Child Care Costs – With the option of working from home, this can potentially save you a small fortune every month, especially if you have more than one child. Plus, depending on your parenting ethos, you may want your kids spending less time being looked after by someone else. I was extremely lucky I knew a local childminder who offered me a discounted rate to send my children to their nursery, otherwise, I would have struggled to place them!
6. Being There For Your Kids – Not something any parent wants to hear, but should your kids fall ill, there is no issue with you taking time off work to care for your kids. And no negative colleagues attempting to belittle you or give you sneering looks as you either arrive late or leave early to attend to your children.
7. Better Work-Life Balance – For some this is debatable, but for me, as a working parent, the ability to work online from home is a no brainer. It provides the flexibility to work around my kids. Being available for the school runs and important dates is a good feeling. I no longer have to sweet talk the boss into having time off. Plus, both my partner and I have seen a huge improvement in how we interact with our children, due to having more time and patience with our children. Now compare that to a 9-5 job!
8. You Need Less Money – Wait, what..? This may sound crazy, but when you begin working from home, you can potentially make huge savings, as a lot of the costs you had when working a traditional job drop. Think about your job-related outgoings like some of the things I mentioned previously. There’s childcare, commuting, lunches, work tools, equipment, and clothing. All of these things quickly stack up and can be extremely expensive. How many of these exspenses apply to you?
You can begin to see that working from home can cost you less and provide you with a better lifestyle from the get-go. But thinking about starting an online business and doing something about it is a big step, but by educating yourself and balancing out the pros and cons, you can eliminate a lot of the risk and the fear of failure holding you back!
It’s Time To Stop Putting Things Off And Take Action
Just like anything new in your life, there is a lot to process when starting an online business, especially when the responsibility of others is involved. However, there are many successful online entrepreneurs who have had similar doubts and asked the same questions (me being one of them), but we have succeeded because we beat our fear of failure and took action!
With such a great opportunity in today’s online market, it really is a case of the sooner you get started, the quicker you’ll see the rewards.
If you have reached this far down the page then I’m 100% confident you’re serious about changing your circumstances and have a burning desire to build a better future, for you and your family. Don’t just keep sitting there doing the same thing and expecting different results, take the bull by the horns and take action!
As a thank-you to all my readers, I’ve got a bonus for you. Without giving too much away, it’s a training video explaining some of the basics of making money online. It’s high-value content and you can check it out here ==>“understanding how to make money online“. Enjoy!
Can you think of another reason why you should be starting an online business at home? Or perhaps you have further questions you need answers too. Then please share your comments and questions below and I’ll do my best to answer them.