If you’re working full time or even a stay at home mum/dad, then you would be forgiven for thinking that life can feel somewhat hasty and the thought of starting an online business at home is probably the last thing that comes to mind.
I would imagine you’re probably working for most of the day, spending the time you do have left with the kids and then if you’re lucky, you’ll end up with an hour or two to yourself before bed, only to repeat the process again the next day!
It’s a vicious cycle that I found myself in not too long ago and I’m grateful I began my online journey and escaped from it.
Right now in your life, you may be thinking that there are just not enough hours in the day. You either don’t get enough quality time with your children or don’t have enough downtime to yourself. All of this leaves you thinking, that there must be another way, one where you can control the clock.
You may have even asked yourself “what do I need to do to start an online business?” or “what kind of online business should I start?”. But with how busy your life is already, you may not think it’s even possible, especially if you’re someone with no prior experience.
For the majority of people, the unknown is frightening. They convince themselves it’s all too risky and the thought of failing and crawling back to their bosses paralyses them with fear and uncertainty. So they continue in a job they love to hate. Does any of this sound familiar..?
OK, So What’s The Good News?
Well, the good news is that there are alternative ways to make a living and live a life where you feel in control, but not all the options are suitable for working parents, or anyone else for that matter.
There’s no “one size fits all” approach, unfortunately.
For example, you could start your very own nursery or preschool from home. This would eliminate traveling to and from work, allowing extra time at home. However, for the majority, this would incur large upfront costs and without hiring a team of carers, you would still be working most of the day.
For the tech-savvy, you could work from home as a graphic designer, a social media manager or something along those lines, leveraging the growing trend of remote working/telecommuting.
How about becoming self-employed and working when you want, with the idea of providing a better work/life balance? The obvious disadvantage with either telecommuting or being self-employed is that you would still be trading your time for money, so unless your physically working, you’re not generating income.
Or my personal favourite would be to go nomad and travel the world whilst home tutoring your children, although you would probably need to win a small fortune first!
But in all seriousness, there is a way to take control of your working life, allowing you more flexibility whilst still generating an income; being your own boss and starting an online business at home.
With well over 4 billion internet users in 2019 (internetworldstats) and an estimated 1.92 billion people expected to purchase something online in 2019, now is a fantastic time to start an online business, and it’s never been easier. These internet users will be searching for information and solutions to their problems.
By helping these people and providing solutions, this is how you will earn your revenue!
But What If I Know Nothing About Online Business?
In the past, many have fallen short with not knowing how to build a website or not knowing how to code, but with so many processes now automated and training packages offering professionally built websites with just a few clicks of the mouse, you can be up and running in no time.
When I started my online business, I had no idea about how to build a website and knew nothing about coding. But with the right training, I was able to set up my business and have helped others in the process. The first training product I ever invested my hard-earned money into was the HBGCourse.
The HBGcourse provided me with an easy to follow step by step process of how to put together an online business from scratch using either your own products and services or by using products and services from other companies. It delivered everything in simple plain English, which helped me understand all the tech language used on many “how-to” videos and training products.
This was back when I didn’t know the difference between a domain provider and a web hosting company. I didn’t even really know what affiliate actually meant. I was a complete newbie as they say.
In a nutshell, the HBG course helped an absolute beginner like me get started with piecing together the building blocks of my first online business, at a time when I knew nothing about website development, design or online business. Ultimately, if someone like me is able to start in the online space, then I’m confident you can too. I’d only recommend The HBG Course however for someone who has made a decision to start learning and is willing to invest in their training.
What You Need To Know Before Starting An Online Business
Starting anything new can be a daunting process and launching an online business presents its own unique challenges, even more so if you are doing this alongside a full-time job and/or family commitments. But the great thing about this business model is you can do this in your spare time and put in as much work as you want to. I was only able to manage an hour a day when I started. Read more about how I manage my time working from home.
I must add there are a few prerequisites to running an online business, but nothing technical. You will require a willingness to learn new skills, a determination to make it happen and persistence to see it through.
Just like most of traditional “brick and mortar” businesses, the majority of online businesses fail within the first 6-12 months. There’s no avoiding or sugar-coating this, but the reasons are mostly due to people expecting instant results and simply giving up too soon, largely due to so many internet scams that promise overnight success.
However, if you believe in yourself, have the motivation to succeed and are fully committed to taking action, then the following pros will outweigh any cons you may associate with starting an online business.
8 Advantages Of Online Business
- You Can Work Anywhere Anytime – Yes, in the beginning, you will have to invest your time and effort, but you can work at your own pace and in your own time. I started out working 1 hour a day because that’s all the time I had spare. And once you’ve laid the foundations for your business, you can be available for your family without having to worry about sacrificing your income. Long-term this will mean passive income.
- Build a Business Around a Passion – We would all love to be able to get paid for something we enjoy doing and having an online business gives us that opportunity. You actually get to choose what you market and/or produce, which makes it easier to persist and stay motivated. I know a lot of people in well-paid jobs, but very few actually enjoy what they do.
Is there anyone that you know who feels stuck or is not passionate about what they do?
- It’s Cost-Effective and Simple to Set Up – If you’re like me when I started and have a very limited budget, then you can actually get yourself set up for FREE and have a website up and running within minutes. For some, this would be crucial to their decision-making process. I was working full-time and my kids were very young when I started, so having a low-risk option was important to me. Read more about how I got started online for free.
- No Commute – Just take a moment to think about how much time each day and each week you spend getting to and from work. How much time do you spend just waiting for transport and how long is your journey to and from work? It all quickly adds up to hours of torturous travel and without getting paid!! For me, this was a game-changer. I used to commute in and out of central London 5 days a week, meaning I saved myself around 40+ hours and was around £250+ better off each month!
How much time and money could you save by working from home?
- Reduced or No Child Care Costs – With the option of working from home, this can potentially save you a small fortune every month, especially if you have more than one child. Plus, depending on your parenting ethos, you may want your kids spending less time being looked after by someone else. I was extremely lucky I knew a local childminder who offered me a discounted rate to send my children to their nursery, otherwise, I would have struggled to place them!
- Being There For Your Kids – Not something any parent wants to hear, but should your kids fall ill, there is no issue with you taking time off work to care for your kids. And no negative colleagues attempting to belittle you or give you sneering looks as you either arrive late or leave early to attend to your children.
- Better Work-Life Balance – For some this is debatable, but for me, as a working parent, the ability to work online from home is a no brainer. It provides the flexibility to work around my kids. Being available for the school runs and important dates is a good feeling. I no longer have to sweet talk the boss into having time off. Plus, both my partner and I have seen a huge improvement in how we interact with our children, due to having more time and patience with our children. Now compare that to a 9-5 job!
- You Need Less Money – Wait, what..? This may sound crazy, but when you begin working from home, you can potentially make huge savings, as a lot of the costs you had when working a traditional job drop. Think about your job-related outgoings like some of the things I mentioned previously. There’s childcare, commuting, lunches, work tools, equipment, and clothing. All of these things quickly stack up and can be extremely expensive. How many of these apply to you?
You can begin to see that working from home can cost you less and provide you with a better lifestyle from the get-go. But thinking about starting an online business and doing something about it is a big step, but by educating yourself and balancing out the pros and cons, you can all but eliminate the risk factor and preconceived doubts you may have had.
It’s Time To Stop Putting Things Off And Take Action
Just like anything new in your life, there is a lot to process when starting an online business, especially when the responsibility of others is involved. However, there are many successful online entrepreneurs who have had similar doubts and asked the same questions (me being one of them), but we have succeeded because we took action.
With such a great opportunity in today’s online market, it really is a case of the sooner you get started, the quicker you’ll see the rewards.
If you have reached this far down the page then I’m confident you are indeed serious about changing your circumstances and have a burning desire to build a better future, for you and your family. Don’t just keep sitting there and expecting something to happen, take the bull by the horns and take action!
As a thank-you to all my readers, I’ve got a bonus for you. Without giving too much away, it’s a training video explaining some of the basics of making money online. It’s high-value content and you can check it out here ==>“ understanding how to make money online“. Enjoy!
Can you think of another reason why you should be starting an online business at home? Or perhaps you have further questions you need answers too. Then please share your comments and questions below and I’ll do my best to answer them.